Congress attacks Advani`s remarks on Ram temple issue
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday attacked LK Advani`s remark that BJP workers should not be apologetic about Ram temple issue and said the opposition party raises the issue only to capture power.
"Whenever polls are near, BJP keeps raking up the Ram temple issue. They did not talk about it when they were in power for six years at the Centre. People no longer trust them on the issue. It is only to capture power that BJP rakes it up," party spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters.
Addressing party workers at the BJP headquarters on the occasion of BJP Foundation Day here, Advani said he felt pride in admitting that his party had raised the issue of Ram temple and Ayodhya as it was not just a political outfit but also a cultural one.
Alvi also had a dig at the opposition party over BJP Delhi chief Vijay Goel`s remarks that the next government at the Centre will be formed under L K Advani`s leadership, a comment that the BJP leader later clarified.
"When you fight just for the sake of power. It leads to groupism in the party. Every group has its own leader and the supporters of that leader try to put him forward," Alvi said.
Asked about Advani`s remarks that the things that he gets to hear these days about the party do not match with his idea of BJP, the Congress spokesperson said only Advani can tell what he dreamt of, what was fulfilled and what failed.
"When you say that you want to get power at any cost, then it is for enjoyment. The pursuit of such a power leads to divisions. For Congress, power is an instrument to serve the people," Alvi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17