Congress core group meet ends
New Delhi: With Trinamool Congress exiting from the UPA, the Congress top brass, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi, met on Friday evening to decide the future course of action.
A meeting of the Congress Core Group headed by Gandhi met at PM`s residence, 7 RCR.
This is the second meeting of the Congress Core Group which had met only two days back, a day after Mamata Banerjee had announced the withdrawal of support.
Government managers are confident of the numbers even after the withdrawal of support by the 19-member Trinamool Congress, which was the second largest constituent of the 15-party ruling alliance.
Trinamool had six ministers, including one of Cabinet rank, in the UPA government.
After Trinamool`s withdrawal of support, the UPA government`s support in Lok Sabha has come down from 273 to 254 and the coalition will be heavily dependent on Samajwadi Party (22) and BSP (21) for its majority in the House.
For a simple majority, government needs the support of at least 273 MPs in a House of 545.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged