Congress disapproves of MPs` letter on Modi visa
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday sought to disapprove of the move by MPs writing to US President Barack Obama seeking denial of visa to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, saying the "nation is bigger than politics".
"The nation is bigger than politics... We do not know what individuals are doing. The issue has not been discussed in any fora of the party nor that of Parliament. Nothing has been discussed. It is a non-issue (for us)," party spokesman Raj Babbar told reporters.
Babbar, a member of the Lok Sabha, said MPs could approach the Privileges Committee if they are alleging that their signatures were forged.
The reaction of the party came at a time when a major controversy has arisen over the move with some MPs denying having signed it.
BJP also accused Congress` "dirty tricks department" of being behind it and demanded a probe.
Latching on to denials by CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury, DMK MP K P Ramalingam and CPI MP M P Achutan, a BJP lawmaker wrote to Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar urging for a probe into alleged forgery of signatures.
Sudarshan Bhagat, BJP MP from Lohardaga, Jharkhand, today wrote a letter to the Speaker saying some MPs have said they have not signed the letter to Obama.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs