Congress disapproves of MPs` letter on Modi visa
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday sought to disapprove of the move by MPs writing to US President Barack Obama seeking denial of visa to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, saying the "nation is bigger than politics".
"The nation is bigger than politics... We do not know what individuals are doing. The issue has not been discussed in any fora of the party nor that of Parliament. Nothing has been discussed. It is a non-issue (for us)," party spokesman Raj Babbar told reporters.
Babbar, a member of the Lok Sabha, said MPs could approach the Privileges Committee if they are alleging that their signatures were forged.
The reaction of the party came at a time when a major controversy has arisen over the move with some MPs denying having signed it.
BJP also accused Congress` "dirty tricks department" of being behind it and demanded a probe.
Latching on to denials by CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury, DMK MP K P Ramalingam and CPI MP M P Achutan, a BJP lawmaker wrote to Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar urging for a probe into alleged forgery of signatures.
Sudarshan Bhagat, BJP MP from Lohardaga, Jharkhand, today wrote a letter to the Speaker saying some MPs have said they have not signed the letter to Obama.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video