Congress MP demands action against Asaram Bapu
New Delhi: The issue of a rape case filed by a minor against Asaram Bapu figured in Rajya Sabha on Friday, with a Congress member demanding action against the spiritual guru.
The matter, however, saw sharp exchanges between BJP and treasury benches after the ruling party member named a BJP leader for supporting the spiritual leader.
Raising it during Zero Hour, Prabha Thakur (Cong) said it was a matter of shame that someone who claimed to be a saint had indulged in such an act.
As Thakur demanded action against Asaram Bapu and asked him to leave sainthood, Congress members shouted "shame, shame" in unison.
"Asaram Bapu is known as a saint. If a person like this is found involved in such an abhorrent act, he should quit his sainthood," she said.
Thakur said despite claims made by his spokesperson that he was not present in Jodhpur, the evidence of his presence there has been confirmed by reports of Airport Authority of India and the owner of the farm house where he stayed.
She said a senior BJP leader had come out in support of Bapu.
As soon as she tried to name the leader, BJP members rose in protest. This led to sharp exchanges between BJP and Congress members that continued for sometime, with Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien expunging the name of the BJP leader.
"No names please," Kurien said while trying to pacify the protesting BJP members. "I will go through the records and if she has said anything about Sant Samaj, I will expunge the same," Kurien added.
- Imran Khan demands ‘jail’ for Nawaz; reiterates Pak PM’s resignation over Panama Papers – Video inside
- Breathtaking dance steps performed by sibling goes viral – Watch video to believe it!
- Seven of marriage party electrocuted in Telangana
- IS-linked cell in Morocco planned attack in Brussels
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires