Congress MP demands action against Asaram Bapu
New Delhi: The issue of a rape case filed by a minor against Asaram Bapu figured in Rajya Sabha on Friday, with a Congress member demanding action against the spiritual guru.
The matter, however, saw sharp exchanges between BJP and treasury benches after the ruling party member named a BJP leader for supporting the spiritual leader.
Raising it during Zero Hour, Prabha Thakur (Cong) said it was a matter of shame that someone who claimed to be a saint had indulged in such an act.
As Thakur demanded action against Asaram Bapu and asked him to leave sainthood, Congress members shouted "shame, shame" in unison.
"Asaram Bapu is known as a saint. If a person like this is found involved in such an abhorrent act, he should quit his sainthood," she said.
Thakur said despite claims made by his spokesperson that he was not present in Jodhpur, the evidence of his presence there has been confirmed by reports of Airport Authority of India and the owner of the farm house where he stayed.
She said a senior BJP leader had come out in support of Bapu.
As soon as she tried to name the leader, BJP members rose in protest. This led to sharp exchanges between BJP and Congress members that continued for sometime, with Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien expunging the name of the BJP leader.
"No names please," Kurien said while trying to pacify the protesting BJP members. "I will go through the records and if she has said anything about Sant Samaj, I will expunge the same," Kurien added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead