Congress terms Delhi bus gang-rape unfortunate
New Delhi: Terming as "unfortunate" the gang-rape of a 23-year-old student here, Congress Tuesday hoped Delhi Police will take note of the incident and act expeditiously.
"The incident is very unfortunate and it should be condemned in the strongest possible words. We hope Delhi Police will take note of this incident and act expeditiously," party leader Manish Tewari told reporters outside Parliament.
To a suggestion of setting up fast track courts to expedite such cases and prevent recurrence of such incidents, Tewari said police can act swiftly and effectively withing the prevailing law.
The para-medical student was raped in a moving bus on last Sunday night and brutally assaulted by four men who also attacked her male friend and threw both of them out of the vehicle.
So far, four accused have been arrested in connection with the incident. According to doctors, the girl is "better than yesterday" but she is still "not out of danger".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!