Corruption challenges rule of law, says Ansari
New Delhi: Departure from good governance
has led to supremacy of rule of law being "challenged by
corruption and malicious influence of money power," Vice
President Hamid Ansari said on Sunday.
"The supremacy of rule of law has been challenged by
corruption and the malicious influence of money power. Both
are made possible by departure from norms of good governance,"
the Vice President said here addressing the `International
Conference of Jurists on International Terrorism and Rule of
Ansari added though India is committed to democratic
governance, transparency and implementation of rule of law,
its practice has been "marred by lapses resulting in a
failure to deliver it in sufficient measure."
Commenting on the ability of the elite to subvert the
rule of law by money or influence, Ansari said "the reality of
the systemic discrimination and exclusion based on community,
gender, class and other limiting and distorting considerations
"A large swathe of society and polity even accept this
situation as a way of life," he added.
Terming corruption as a significant threat to national security, Ansari said, "it shakes the legitimacy of the state, erodes its sovereignty and its capacity to exercise sovereign functions including ensuring law and order for citizens."
"It corrodes the social and political fabric of
society, increases injustice, in its legal implications, and
it results in the disregard to the rule of law," he added.
The Vice President observed that with increasing
levels of violence, legal systems globally are resorting to
incorporate exceptional and extraordinary legislations to deal
"The challenge for the governments and legal
fraternity across the globe is to deal effectively with
violence within the framework of normal laws and respect for
human rights and fundamental freedoms."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days