Country passing through crisis due to lack of leadership: Katju
Patna: The country is passing through crisis due to lack of leadership, Press Council of India Chairman Justice Markandey Katju on Friday said while lamenting the "general mood of cynicism" against the political class due to corruption.
"The country is passing through crisis due to lack of leadership... There is absence of good leadership with vision and integrity," he told a function here.
"Lagta hai choron ka mulk hai...Charo taraf loot machi hai (It seems we have become a country of thieves and loot is taking place all around)," the PCI chairman said.
The credibility of political leaders has suffered a severe dent, he said, adding scam was following scam and there was a general mood of cynicism against the political class due to prevalence of corruption.
There was a time when the leaders commanded respect of the people for qualities like integrity, commitment and leadership, he said while recalling Mahatma Gandhi, Dr Rajendra Prasad, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru and Dr BC Roy.
"But today`s leaders lack vision and leadership," he said.
Katju said that country was sitting on the tip of a volcano and referred to disgust among the people against "corruption, scams and degeneration of the political system.
"If the political class does not change its ways, then a bad situation will greet them sooner than later," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Hungary's Orban says "obvious connection" between terrorism and migration
- Parineeti Chopra is not part of 'Mubaraka'
- ITC Q1 net profit up 10% to Rs 2,385 crore
- 'Kabali' fervour: Son-in-law Dhanush releases special poster, calls Rajinikanth 'The King'
- Over 5.48 lakh people affected due to floods in states: Govt