Court rejects Italian marines` plea on chargesheet
Kollam: A local court on Tuesday rejected the plea of the two Italian marines to provide them with the Italian translation of the chargesheet and other documents in connection with the case of shooting to death two Indian fishermen from cargo ship Enrica Lexie.
District and Sessions Judge PD Rajan, who is hearing the case, turned down the marines` plea holding that there was no provision in the Criminal Procedure Code to provide translated versions of the charge sheet and documents.
The judge observed that the lawyers appearing for marines, charged with murder, were well versed in Malayalam and English and quoted a Madras High Court order in this regard on a similar plea in the past.
The judge adjourned further hearing in the case to July 25.
After the marines moved the plea seeking translated version of the documents last month, the prosecution had provided the court with a list of three translators but the judge reserved the orders on the matter.
The marines -- Latore Massimilliano and Salvatore Girone -- were present in court during the proceedings.
The two, engaged for security of the Italian vessel, were arrested on February 19 for allegedly opening fire and killing fishermen Jalestine and Ajesh Binki, who had ventured out to sea from nearby Neendakara in a boat with nine others.
On May 30, the Kerala High Court had granted them bail with stringent conditions and they are now staying in Kochi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch