CPI demands withdrawal of US Vice-Consul
New Delhi: CPI on Saturday demanded the withdrawal
of US Vice-Consul in Chennai Maureen Chao for her "racist"
comments on Tamils and asked the government to lodge a
"strong protest" with the US in this regard.
Party National Secretary D Raja said the remarks of
"dirty and dark" Tamilians by US Vice-Consul Maureen Chao were
"The Indian Government should lodge a strong protest with
the US in this regard. The US should withdraw her from here,"
"The remarks show the racist nature of the official even
during Barack Obama`s presidency. This cannot be tolerated,"
Addressing students at SRM university in Chennai
yesterday, Chao had said: "I was on a 24-hour train trip from
Delhi to Orissa. But, after 72 hours, the train still did not
reach the destination... and my skin became dirty and dark
like the Tamilians."
Going into a damage-control mode following her
controversial remarks, the US Consulate here said, "During the
speech Ms Chao made an inappropriate comment. Ms Chao deeply
regrets if her unfortunate remarks offended anyone, as that
was certainly not her intent".
The Consulate said in a release that the diplomat was
describing "positive memories from her own study abroad
experiences in India 23 years ago".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble