CPI demands withdrawal of US Vice-Consul
New Delhi: CPI on Saturday demanded the withdrawal
of US Vice-Consul in Chennai Maureen Chao for her "racist"
comments on Tamils and asked the government to lodge a
"strong protest" with the US in this regard.
Party National Secretary D Raja said the remarks of
"dirty and dark" Tamilians by US Vice-Consul Maureen Chao were
"The Indian Government should lodge a strong protest with
the US in this regard. The US should withdraw her from here,"
"The remarks show the racist nature of the official even
during Barack Obama`s presidency. This cannot be tolerated,"
Addressing students at SRM university in Chennai
yesterday, Chao had said: "I was on a 24-hour train trip from
Delhi to Orissa. But, after 72 hours, the train still did not
reach the destination... and my skin became dirty and dark
like the Tamilians."
Going into a damage-control mode following her
controversial remarks, the US Consulate here said, "During the
speech Ms Chao made an inappropriate comment. Ms Chao deeply
regrets if her unfortunate remarks offended anyone, as that
was certainly not her intent".
The Consulate said in a release that the diplomat was
describing "positive memories from her own study abroad
experiences in India 23 years ago".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan welcomes appointment of Urjit Patel as his successor
- French court suspends burkini ban after challenge
- Flipkart rejigs top order to 'simplify' organisation
- PM Modi announces task force to prepare action plan for next three Olympic Games
- US economic growth estimate for 2nd quarter cut to 1.1%