CPM fixes tenure of secretaries to three years
Kozhikode (Ker): The tenure of secretaries
at all levels in the CPI(M) has been limited to three terms,
implying this could be the last term for incumbent General
Secretary Prakash Karat.
The significant amendment restricting the tenure was
unanimously approved by delegates at the ongoing 20th party
congress here yesterday, party sources said.
Karat, elected as General Secretary in 2005 at the New
Delhi congress and again at Coimbatore for the second term, is
expected to be re-elected for a third term.
The congress, however, did not consider a proposal to fix
the age limit for leaders holding positions in the party or
The constitutional amendment has a provision for a
secretary to continue for a fourth term if three-fourths of
the members of respective party conferences (the party
congress in the case of general secretary) vote in his or her
The period between two party conferences that constitute
a term is three years unless the meets are delayed due to
The existing party politburo held its last meeting
yesterday and prepared a panel for the new central committee
The panel was presented before the congress this morning,
which will elect the new bodies and the General Secretary by
The congress would conclude this evening with a rally and
march by party volunteers at M K Pandhe Nagar on the beach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof