CWG scam: ED granted a month to quiz Jayachandran
New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate (ED)
has been granted one more month by a Delhi court to quiz
former CWG Organising Committee treasurer M Jayachandran for
alleged violation of foreign exchange laws in the award of
contract for installing Timing, Scoring and Result system for
the 2010 games.
"The time to interrogate accused M Jayachandran is
extended by one month from today," Special CBI Judge Talwant
Singh said after ED`s prosecutor Naveen Kumar Matta sought
extension of time from the court.
The ED also apprised the court about its interrogation of
former OC Secretary General Lalit Bhanot, an accused in TSR
scam involving sacked OC Chairman Suresh Kalmadi and others.
"The ED has filed compliance report with respect to
interrogation of accused Lalit Bhanot as per order dated July
4," the court said.
The court had earlier allowed the ED to interrogate
Jayachandran to ascertain violation of foreign exchange laws
in award of the contract for TSR system to a Swiss firm.
Jayachandran was arrested for his role in awarding the
contract to the Swiss firm at an exorbitant cost of over Rs
141 crore, causing a loss of over Rs 95 crore to the state
ED had submitted that on the basis of the FIR registered
by the CBI against Jayachandran, they have also registered a
case and his statement was necessary for further probe into
Jayachandran is in jail since June 4 after he had
surrendered in the court which had issued a non-bailable
warrant against him for his alleged involvement in the TSR
scam on May 23. The court had earlier dismissed his bail plea
saying he was "deeply involved" in the case.
CBI has accused Jayachandran of manipulating the minutes
of OC`s Finance committee to justify the alleged forgery in
the award of the TSR contract.
ED had earlier interrogated Kalmadi, OC`s Joint Director
General (sports) ASV Prasad and OC`s former Director General
(procurement) Surjit Lal, all accused in the TSR scam.
The accused including Kalmadi, Bhanot, Jayachandran,
Surjit Lal and Prasad are in jail after the CBI, in its
charge sheet filed on May 20, had described the ex-OC chairman
as a main accused in the case involving award of the contract
for Rs 141 crore.
According to the charge sheet, the accused allegedly
awarded the Rs 141 crore contract to the Swiss firm to install
a TSR system for the games at an exorbitant cost.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees