Dalai Lama greeted on his 79th birthday
Dharamsala/Shimla: Dalai Lama was today greeted on his 79th birthday by Tibetan government in-exile, which vowed to resolve the Tibet issue with the Chinese government using the spiritual leader`s Middle Way Approach.
In a message to the spiritual leader, the 14th Kashag or Tibetan Parliament in-exile attributed the unity of its people to Dalai Lama, saying "the fact that the Tibetan people are united like an iron ball regardless of their regional or religious affiliations and in spite of the Chinese occupation is mainly due to his enlightened leadership".
Dalai Lama is currently in Leh for `Kalchakra` also known as the Wheel of Time in Buddhist philosophy. The 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, was born July 6, 1935, to a?peasant family in Taktser village in the Amdo region of Tibet. Ever since he left Tibet in 1959, the Tibetan spiritual leader has travelled to more than 50 countries and met their political and spiritual leaders.
He has been bestowed with over 150 major awards, prizes and honorary doctorates, including the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989, United Nations Earth Prize in 1991, US Congressional Gold Medal in 2007 and the Templeton Award in 2012.
Lobsang Sangay, the first democratically elected Tibetan Prime Minister in-exile, said the Central Tibetan
Administration (CTA) is observing this year as the "Year of the Great 14th Dalai Lama" to express appreciation of the spiritual leader`s accomplishments for the cause of Tibet and the promotion of peace, inter-faith harmony and human values.
"The Middle Way Approach continues to receive support from governments around the world and from the international community, including a growing number of Chinese citizens and the CTA has launched an international campaign to continue this awareness and support for the Approach," he said.
Sangay said the Secretaries of the CTA will visit Tibetan settlements and generate mass awareness about the Middle Way Approach so that all Tibetans participate in this effort.
On the larger issue of Tibet, he said the Kashag`s believes that this will only be resolved through dialogue with the Chinese government.
"It is our hope that the new Chinese leadership will soon realize the fact that the Middle Way Approach is a mutually beneficial solution to the Tibet problem," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared