Database with rape convicts’ photos to be prepared
New Delhi: Amidst outrage over the brutal gang-rape of 23-year old girl in the national capital, the government has recently announced a slew of measures for the safety and security of women. Keeping in line with the same, the government said on Thursday that a national data base with photographs of all rape convicts will be prepared.
Minister of State for Home RPN Singh said he has directed the National Crime Records Bureau to prepare a directory of all rape convicts and upload their photographs, names and addresses on its website.
"We are planning to start it in Delhi. Photographs, names and addresses of the rapists will be uploaded on Delhi Police website also," he told reporters here.
Singh said that subsequently the plan will cover all states and Union Territories and websites of state police forces will carry photographs, names and addresses of the rape convicts.
Modalities for preparing the data-base are being prepared and the NCRB website will be ready with the photographs, names and addresses of the rapists in a few months.
"We are very serious to deal with the problem and taking all possible action as early as possible," Singh said.
The para-medical student was raped in a moving bus in South Delhi by six men and then subjected to brutal violence. She had been fighting for her life at Safdarjung Hospital for the past 10 days and was subsequently shifted to Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore last night.
Government has already set up a Commission of Inquiry to identify lapses and fix responsibility for the December 16 gang-rape case and also constituted a committee of jurists for reviewing the existing laws to provide speedier justice and enhanced punishment in cases of sexual assault.
Meanwhile, protests have been going on in Delhi mostly by students demanding stricter laws for rapists.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed