‘Deal terrorism, Naxalism with tough hands’
New Delhi: Favouring a coordinated strategy at the national level, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh on Monday said that terrorism and Naxalism have to be dealt with tough hands.
Singh also asked for a "national consensus" on the issue of setting up a National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) to ensure a federal structure.
"I believe that the problem of terrorism and Naxalism can be curbed with the coordinated efforts of the central and the state governments. For this we have always emphasised the need for a coordinated strategy at the national level. I have always been in favour of dealing with terrorism and naxalism with tough hands," Singh said during the Chief Ministers` conference on internal security here.
He said the issue of the establishment of NCTC requires a national consensus as "it must not adversely affect our federal structure".
The Centre has scheduled a meeting on May 5 to discuss the proposed NCTC amid growing clamour against it in some states.
Singh said Naxalites were using abduction as a strategic weapon and trying to gain control in areas with sufficient natural resources.
"Naxalism poses the same threat to the internal security of the country as any other terrorist activity. Today, it is a well known fact that the damage to life and property caused by Naxalism is much more compared to terrorism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened