‘Deal terrorism, Naxalism with tough hands’
New Delhi: Favouring a coordinated strategy at the national level, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh on Monday said that terrorism and Naxalism have to be dealt with tough hands.
Singh also asked for a "national consensus" on the issue of setting up a National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) to ensure a federal structure.
"I believe that the problem of terrorism and Naxalism can be curbed with the coordinated efforts of the central and the state governments. For this we have always emphasised the need for a coordinated strategy at the national level. I have always been in favour of dealing with terrorism and naxalism with tough hands," Singh said during the Chief Ministers` conference on internal security here.
He said the issue of the establishment of NCTC requires a national consensus as "it must not adversely affect our federal structure".
The Centre has scheduled a meeting on May 5 to discuss the proposed NCTC amid growing clamour against it in some states.
Singh said Naxalites were using abduction as a strategic weapon and trying to gain control in areas with sufficient natural resources.
"Naxalism poses the same threat to the internal security of the country as any other terrorist activity. Today, it is a well known fact that the damage to life and property caused by Naxalism is much more compared to terrorism.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference