Delhi gang-rape: Verdict politically motivated, says defence counsel
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Expressing disappointment over the conviction of four accused in December 16 Delhi gang-rape case, their defence counsel on Tuesday said that he would challenge the fast-track court verdict in a higher court.
"We will challenge the decision in the higher court," Defence lawyer AP Singh said.
He claimed that the verdict is politically motivated. "This verdict is politically motivated for the interest of the people. We will have to go to High Court. This is not a fair trial," Singh said.
The defence counsel further claimed that no relief was given to his clients and they were falsely implicated in the case.
The reaction from Singh came minutes after the Saket fast-track court convicted all four men for rape and murder of the 23-year-old paramedical student.
Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna found the four guilty in the case. All the accused were present in the court when the verdict was pronounced.
The court`s decision on accused - Mukesh, Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur - came after almost nine months of the brutal crime in which a 23-year-old physiotherapy intern was gang raped in a moving bus.
The incident sparked nationwide protests and nudged the central government into enacting a stringent anti-rape law.
While an accused was found dead in a cell in Delhi`s Tihar jail, a juvenile involved in the crime was Aug 31 sent by the Juvenile Justice Board to a reform home for three years after it concluded that he was involved in rape and murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees