Delhi gang-rape: Verdict politically motivated, says defence counsel
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Expressing disappointment over the conviction of four accused in December 16 Delhi gang-rape case, their defence counsel on Tuesday said that he would challenge the fast-track court verdict in a higher court.
"We will challenge the decision in the higher court," Defence lawyer AP Singh said.
He claimed that the verdict is politically motivated. "This verdict is politically motivated for the interest of the people. We will have to go to High Court. This is not a fair trial," Singh said.
The defence counsel further claimed that no relief was given to his clients and they were falsely implicated in the case.
The reaction from Singh came minutes after the Saket fast-track court convicted all four men for rape and murder of the 23-year-old paramedical student.
Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna found the four guilty in the case. All the accused were present in the court when the verdict was pronounced.
The court`s decision on accused - Mukesh, Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur - came after almost nine months of the brutal crime in which a 23-year-old physiotherapy intern was gang raped in a moving bus.
The incident sparked nationwide protests and nudged the central government into enacting a stringent anti-rape law.
While an accused was found dead in a cell in Delhi`s Tihar jail, a juvenile involved in the crime was Aug 31 sent by the Juvenile Justice Board to a reform home for three years after it concluded that he was involved in rape and murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand