Differences among BJP members on promotions quota
New Delhi: Differences cropped up among BJP MPs on the issue of providing reservation in promotion for SC and ST government employees a day after a bill in this regard was passed by the Rajya Sabha.
"On the issue of reservation, yes there were discussions and different voices also came about. But the leaders explained that whole Constitutional amendment has been changed substantially because of the intervention of BJP," party spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said on Tuesday.
He was talking to reporters after BJP Parliamentary party meeting here.
Prasad said the leaders explained that the norms of efficiency (in governance) under Article 335 of the Constitution shall not be ignored even while giving promotion to SC/ST employees.
"Those who have been promoted post 1995 will not be reverted. Government has given an assurance that this being an enabling provision, the Centre will write to all the states to ensure that those who have been promoted, their interest is not adversely impacted due to the amendment," he said.
While BJP had supported the measure, its NDA partner Shiv Sena is opposed to it, besides Samajwadi Party which was isolated during voting in the Upper House where the Bill was passed by overwhelming majority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth