Differences among BJP members on promotions quota
New Delhi: Differences cropped up among BJP MPs on the issue of providing reservation in promotion for SC and ST government employees a day after a bill in this regard was passed by the Rajya Sabha.
"On the issue of reservation, yes there were discussions and different voices also came about. But the leaders explained that whole Constitutional amendment has been changed substantially because of the intervention of BJP," party spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad said on Tuesday.
He was talking to reporters after BJP Parliamentary party meeting here.
Prasad said the leaders explained that the norms of efficiency (in governance) under Article 335 of the Constitution shall not be ignored even while giving promotion to SC/ST employees.
"Those who have been promoted post 1995 will not be reverted. Government has given an assurance that this being an enabling provision, the Centre will write to all the states to ensure that those who have been promoted, their interest is not adversely impacted due to the amendment," he said.
While BJP had supported the measure, its NDA partner Shiv Sena is opposed to it, besides Samajwadi Party which was isolated during voting in the Upper House where the Bill was passed by overwhelming majority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test