Difficult times; govt trying to revive growth: Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday expressed concern over persisting difficult economic conditions, stating that the past year has been a difficult one for the economy.
Addressing the joint sitting of Parliament at the start of the Budget Session, Mukherjee noted, “Europe is in recession, while market economies’ growth is slowing down.”
He stressed that there was a need to address the impact of growth hurdles.
“Indian economy is experiencing slower growth. Our slower growth is the consequence of global and domestic factors,” the President said.
“The government is taking steps to revive growth. Persisting economic conditions are a worry for all. Also, inflation is easing gradually but is still a problem,” Mukherjee added.
“My government has taken several measures to revive investor confidence. Also, one significant step has been the rollout of direct cash transfer scheme which will complement subsidy schemes,” the President said, adding the scheme will help cut down leakages, bring millions into the financial system and lead to better targeting”.
Mukherjee started his speech by expressing hope that the Budget Session would be fruitful. The start of the President’s speech was marked by slogan shouting by Opposition members.
“I hope this session will be productive and useful. As I speak to you, I am aware that an aspirational India is emerging.
“The Indian youth are our greatest national asset. They are a confident, courageous and passionate lot. I am sure they will take India to a new height,” the President told the MPs.
The President noted that people are concerned about the security of women and children, and added the government has brought in an ordinance and taken several steps for safety of women.
“The government has also begun implementing a series of administrative measures to improve the safety of women. My government has also enacted a path breaking Act - protection of children from sexual acts,” the President said.
The remarks hold significance in the wake of last year’s brutal Delhi gang-rape that evoked nationwide protests.
Mukherjee noted that the average annual GDP growth in the 11th Plan was 8%.
“Growth in the agriculture sector was 3.7% in 11th Plan compared to 2.4% in 10th Plan,” he said.
The President said the UPA government has announced a roadmap for fiscal consolidation and aims to cap fiscal deficit at 5.3% of the GDP.
He said the food grains position in the country was comfortable and that the government was committed to enacting the National Food Security Bill.
The President noted that India continues to be the largest producer of milk in the world.
He said the UPA’s MGNREGA scheme continues to break new grounds in providing employment.
“MGNREGA has provided employment to five crore families. Also, Indira Awas Yojna outlay has been increased and areas infested with Naxalism have been included.”
Other Highlights of President’s Speech:
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi