Digvijay in favour of early hanging of Afzal Guru
Bhopal: Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh on Sunday said he was in "favour of early hanging of Afzal Guru", sentenced to death by the Supreme Court in the Parliament attack case.
"I have always believed that there should be a time limit for the disposal of mercy petitions pending before the President," Singh told PTI.
Delays in disposal of mercy petitions do not help anyone and nor do they serve any purpose, he said.
"It is because of this I am of the view that Afzal Guru should be hanged soon," the Congress leader said.
On the controversy surrounding Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s remarks on "Hindu terrorism" at the recent Jaipur `Chintan Shivir`, he said those who had gone to meet the Prime Minister and sought the release of terrorists must also apologise.
Singh claimed that senior BJP leaders had earlier met the Prime Minister to secure the release of some people arrested for having indulged in terror attacks. "They must also apologise for doing so," he said.
Stating that there was no need to talk of terrorism in religious terms, he said, "A terrorist is simply a terrorist, irrespective of the religion to which he belongs."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users