Disciplinary ban on Suhag: Stuck to earlier stand, says Def Min
New Delhi: The Defence Ministry Tuesday said it has adhered to its stand taken earlier on the issue related to imposition of Discipline and Vigilance Ban on Army Chief- designate Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag by the then Army Chief Gen V K Singh.
The Ministry has told the Supreme Court in a recent affidavit related to promotion case of Lt Gen Ravi Dastane that the alleged lapses which were made as grounds to impose disciplinary ban on Suhag were "premeditated", "vague" and "illegal".
The Ministry had filed a similar affidavit earlier in the Armed Forces Tribunal based on considered facts and then taken a stand on the matter when Gen Dastane filed a petition for appointment as Army Commander. The plea was rejected by the Tribunal considering the facts in the case, Defence sources said here.
They said the Government cannot change its views on one issue in legal proceedings in one case in different courts as they are based on considered views.
Gen Singh, who is a now Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region, External Affairs and Overseas Indian Affairs, had placed Lt Gen Suhag under a Disciplinary and Vigilance (DV) ban for a botched up military intelligence operation by a unit under him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened