Don`t undermine constitution: Cong on Afzal issue
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday said that no one
should undermine the constitutional process on the issue of
death penalty to Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru whose
mercy petition is pending with the President.
"Our stand on such matter does not change like weather
....does not swing like pendulum. All stakeholders must
continue to have faith and reliance on the constitutional
process and nothing should be done to undermine it," party
spokesman Abhishek Singhvi told reporters.
The government has forwarded the mercy petition of Guru to
President Pratibha Patil for a decision with a recommendation
that he may be executed.
The Home Ministry recommendations are not binding on the
President. She can decide whether or not Afzal Guru should be
given clemency and his death sentence converted into life
A resolution seeking clemency for Guru was stalled in
Jammu and Kashmir Assembly today as pandemonium broke out
after Congress and BJP members clashed on two separate
issues and nearly came to blows, leading to adjournment of the
House without any business being transacted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan