Don`t undermine constitution: Cong on Afzal issue
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday said that no one
should undermine the constitutional process on the issue of
death penalty to Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru whose
mercy petition is pending with the President.
"Our stand on such matter does not change like weather
....does not swing like pendulum. All stakeholders must
continue to have faith and reliance on the constitutional
process and nothing should be done to undermine it," party
spokesman Abhishek Singhvi told reporters.
The government has forwarded the mercy petition of Guru to
President Pratibha Patil for a decision with a recommendation
that he may be executed.
The Home Ministry recommendations are not binding on the
President. She can decide whether or not Afzal Guru should be
given clemency and his death sentence converted into life
A resolution seeking clemency for Guru was stalled in
Jammu and Kashmir Assembly today as pandemonium broke out
after Congress and BJP members clashed on two separate
issues and nearly came to blows, leading to adjournment of the
House without any business being transacted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31