Drop in quantity of damaged foodgrains: Govt
New Delhi: There has been a sharp fall in the quantity of damaged foodgrains over the past decade, government told the Lok Sabha Tuesday.
"In the year 2002-03, the quantity of damaged foodgrains was about 1.35 lakh tonnes. The damage has come down to 0.014 lakh tonnes," Food Minister K V Thomas said during Question Hour.
measures so that no rotting of foodgrains takes place.
"About five years back we started with about 55 to 60 lakh tonnes of (storage) capacity, which has now gone up very much and we were able to store almost all the foodgrains which come to FCI," he said.
To questions on higher wheat prices in Punjab compared to Haryana and Rajasthan, Thomas said states of Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and the Union Territory of Chandigarh, it is the MSP price plus the state`s taxes.
"I know the state tax in Punjab is to the tune of 14.5 per cent. I have no control over that. That tax they have to pay ... If the Punjab government withdraws or reduces their state taxes, prices will come down," he said.
On MSP for wheat, Thomas said the matter was before the Cabinet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India