Early LS polls depend on political parties: Pranab
Tirumala: Against the backdrop of disruptions in the Monsoon Session of Parliament, President Pranab Mukherkjee on Sunday said the possibility of early polls depended on the behaviour of political leaders and parties.
"It is not a question of what I foresee...This is a question of how leaders will behave, members will behave and parties will behave," he told reporters when asked about the possibility of earlier elections in the wake of the wash out of the monsoon session.
He was also asked whether he foresaw such a possibility if one more session of Parliament is washed out.
The Monsoon Session of Parliament was washed out due to repeated disruptions by the BJP over its demands for resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the wake of the coal scam.
Asked about the recent wasted session, Mukherjee said, leaders of different political parties should work out a mechanism to resolve differences and ensure that institutions of Parliament can work.
He recalled that on an earlier occasion also in 2009, the whole session was disrupted (on demands for a JPC) and the entire winter session business could not be transacted.
Mukherjee noted that every session of Parliament was important and even the last session was important.
Asked about BJP leader LK Advani`s suggestions for holding of simultaneous polls to Parliament and Assemblies, Mukherjee said it is for political parties to consider it because different parties were running governments in different states.
"How elections will take place...A lot of it depends on various factors. In the constitution, whenever there is a collapse of a state government, elections will have to be held within six months or if there is President`s rule it cannot go on beyond one year. So how to go about such a possibility is in the Constitution".
He said if there is to be a change in the method of election there has to be a constitutional amendment and that is not possible by one party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them