EC signs MoU with South Korean counterpart
New Delhi: The Election Commission of India on Wednesday signed an MoU with its South Korean counterpart to help each other in strengthening the electoral processes and political culture.
The Memorandum of Understanding was signed by Chief Election Commissioner of India V S Sampath on behalf of the poll panel and by Justice Nung Hwan Kim of the Republic of Korea at a brief ceremony.
"The MoU has been signed with the common mission of strengthening institutions and processes for democracy, good governance and rule of law in the two countries through combined efforts. It will also help in development of democratic electoral processes and political culture," an Election Commission official said.
This is the 13th MoU signed by ECI with other countries and international election panels. It aims at establishing a "mutually cooperative relationship" in the field of election administration. It will also contribute towards developing and strengthening democratic institutions and processes in the two democratic countries of Asia.
India has signed such MoUs with the United Nations, Cote D`Ivore, Mexico, Bhutan, South Africa, Afghanistan, Brazil, Russia, Nepal, Chile, Indonesia and International Foundation of Electoral Systems, Washington. Similar MoUs with Venezuela and UNDP are in the pipeline, sources said.
Speaking on the occasion, Sampath said, "We are aware of Korea`s formidable record in democratic functioning and good electoral practices."
Korea is reputed for voters` education, controlled expenditure and technical know-how in conduct of polls.
The Korean Election Commission is now the Chair of the Association of Asian Election Authorities (AAEA) and India is the Vice-Chair. Officials from the two countries are also collaborating in the AAEA Working Group to establish an Association of World Election Bodies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog