EC signs MoU with South Korean counterpart
New Delhi: The Election Commission of India on Wednesday signed an MoU with its South Korean counterpart to help each other in strengthening the electoral processes and political culture.
The Memorandum of Understanding was signed by Chief Election Commissioner of India V S Sampath on behalf of the poll panel and by Justice Nung Hwan Kim of the Republic of Korea at a brief ceremony.
"The MoU has been signed with the common mission of strengthening institutions and processes for democracy, good governance and rule of law in the two countries through combined efforts. It will also help in development of democratic electoral processes and political culture," an Election Commission official said.
This is the 13th MoU signed by ECI with other countries and international election panels. It aims at establishing a "mutually cooperative relationship" in the field of election administration. It will also contribute towards developing and strengthening democratic institutions and processes in the two democratic countries of Asia.
India has signed such MoUs with the United Nations, Cote D`Ivore, Mexico, Bhutan, South Africa, Afghanistan, Brazil, Russia, Nepal, Chile, Indonesia and International Foundation of Electoral Systems, Washington. Similar MoUs with Venezuela and UNDP are in the pipeline, sources said.
Speaking on the occasion, Sampath said, "We are aware of Korea`s formidable record in democratic functioning and good electoral practices."
Korea is reputed for voters` education, controlled expenditure and technical know-how in conduct of polls.
The Korean Election Commission is now the Chair of the Association of Asian Election Authorities (AAEA) and India is the Vice-Chair. Officials from the two countries are also collaborating in the AAEA Working Group to establish an Association of World Election Bodies.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India