EC tells states to prepare flawless electoral rolls
New Delhi: In view of the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, the Election Commission (EC) has asked the states and the union territories to prepare error-free electoral rolls, said a letter, dated Dec 11, released Sunday.
"An accurate error-free electoral roll is the cornerstone of free and fair elections," it stated. The letter has instructions for preparing flawless electoral rolls.
Speaking at a thinktank in the US, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) VS Sampath had said Saturday that EC has started preparations for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Around 780 million people are likely to cast their votes at over 800,000 polling booths using over 1.18 million electronic voting machines in the general elections, likely to be held April-May next year.
The CEC also said the new Lok Sabha would be formed by June 1, 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why