EC tells states to prepare flawless electoral rolls
New Delhi: In view of the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, the Election Commission (EC) has asked the states and the union territories to prepare error-free electoral rolls, said a letter, dated Dec 11, released Sunday.
"An accurate error-free electoral roll is the cornerstone of free and fair elections," it stated. The letter has instructions for preparing flawless electoral rolls.
Speaking at a thinktank in the US, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) VS Sampath had said Saturday that EC has started preparations for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Around 780 million people are likely to cast their votes at over 800,000 polling booths using over 1.18 million electronic voting machines in the general elections, likely to be held April-May next year.
The CEC also said the new Lok Sabha would be formed by June 1, 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued