EC tells states to prepare flawless electoral rolls
New Delhi: In view of the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, the Election Commission (EC) has asked the states and the union territories to prepare error-free electoral rolls, said a letter, dated Dec 11, released Sunday.
"An accurate error-free electoral roll is the cornerstone of free and fair elections," it stated. The letter has instructions for preparing flawless electoral rolls.
Speaking at a thinktank in the US, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) VS Sampath had said Saturday that EC has started preparations for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Around 780 million people are likely to cast their votes at over 800,000 polling booths using over 1.18 million electronic voting machines in the general elections, likely to be held April-May next year.
The CEC also said the new Lok Sabha would be formed by June 1, 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Complete list of athletes representing India at 2016 Rio Olympics
- Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump by 11 points in US presidential race
- Pakistan strongly condemns terrorist attack at Istanbul airport
- From criticism to unconditional love: Argentine fans urge Lionel Messi not to quit
- SC dismisses PIL seeking ban on WhatsApp, other messaging apps