EC tells states to prepare flawless electoral rolls
New Delhi: In view of the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, the Election Commission (EC) has asked the states and the union territories to prepare error-free electoral rolls, said a letter, dated Dec 11, released Sunday.
"An accurate error-free electoral roll is the cornerstone of free and fair elections," it stated. The letter has instructions for preparing flawless electoral rolls.
Speaking at a thinktank in the US, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) VS Sampath had said Saturday that EC has started preparations for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Around 780 million people are likely to cast their votes at over 800,000 polling booths using over 1.18 million electronic voting machines in the general elections, likely to be held April-May next year.
The CEC also said the new Lok Sabha would be formed by June 1, 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state