EC tells states to prepare flawless electoral rolls
New Delhi: In view of the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, the Election Commission (EC) has asked the states and the union territories to prepare error-free electoral rolls, said a letter, dated Dec 11, released Sunday.
"An accurate error-free electoral roll is the cornerstone of free and fair elections," it stated. The letter has instructions for preparing flawless electoral rolls.
Speaking at a thinktank in the US, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) VS Sampath had said Saturday that EC has started preparations for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Around 780 million people are likely to cast their votes at over 800,000 polling booths using over 1.18 million electronic voting machines in the general elections, likely to be held April-May next year.
The CEC also said the new Lok Sabha would be formed by June 1, 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users