EC writes to BSF, NCB on drugs, fake currency
New Delhi: In the wake of large-scale
movement of drugs and fake currency in poll-bound states,
the Election Commission has issued fresh directions to the BSF
and Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) to tighten vigil.
The poll body`s action comes in the wake of recent
seizure of about 45 kgs of heroin from Amritsar and adjoining
areas where an alleged Pakistani intruder was killed by BSF
troopers when he was trying to smuggle in the contraband.
Fake Indian Currency Notes (FICN) were also seized by
both the agencies and local police in the poll-bound states.
The EC has asked for reports regarding the latest
seizures made by the Border Security Force (BSF) and NCB,
since the poll schedule was announced.
"The EC has asked both the BSF and the Narcotics Control
Bureau to intensify vigil on the borders so that the
contraband is not used to lure voters," a senior BSF official
said quoting the EC directions.
The EC has also sought for a detailed report on all such
seizures and operations from the border guarding force and the
NCB, the official said.
The NCB has been asked to take additional measures and
gather intelligence inputs on the illegal transport of banned
drugs in poll-bound states of Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Goa,
Uttarakhand and Manipur.
NCB Director General OPS Malik had last month met EC
officials and briefed them about the measures the agency is
taking to curb misuse of contraband during polls.
A number of drug and alkaloid manufacturing units are
based in Punjab and Goa while the borders along Pakistan and
Nepal are notorious for the smuggling of such contraband.
In order to curb the use of illegal cash during polls,
the EC has already directed the Income Tax department and
other enforcement agencies to keep a tab on illegal funds and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore