Economic blockade of any area unjustified: BJP
New Delhi: The economic blockade of any part of the country was wrong and must be prevented in future, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj said Wednesday, a day after the 92-day blockade in Manipur was partially lifted.
"I am happy to know that the 92-day long economic blockade in Manipur has come to an end. This has been the longest economic blockade," Swaraj said on the microblogging site Twitter.
Adding that "we are one country", she said: "The economic blockade of any part of the country is wrong and unjustified. We must prevent such blockades in future."
The leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha said that a BJP delegation met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Oct 21 to express its concern over the situation in Manipur.
"We requested him to take effective steps for lifting the blockade," she added.
The economic blockade in Manipur was partially lifted Tuesday with one of the two striking groups ending its agitation following a written assurance by the state government on creating a new hill district.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today