Economic blockade of any area unjustified: BJP
New Delhi: The economic blockade of any part of the country was wrong and must be prevented in future, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj said Wednesday, a day after the 92-day blockade in Manipur was partially lifted.
"I am happy to know that the 92-day long economic blockade in Manipur has come to an end. This has been the longest economic blockade," Swaraj said on the microblogging site Twitter.
Adding that "we are one country", she said: "The economic blockade of any part of the country is wrong and unjustified. We must prevent such blockades in future."
The leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha said that a BJP delegation met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Oct 21 to express its concern over the situation in Manipur.
"We requested him to take effective steps for lifting the blockade," she added.
The economic blockade in Manipur was partially lifted Tuesday with one of the two striking groups ending its agitation following a written assurance by the state government on creating a new hill district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Istanbul Ataturk Airport blasts: Eyewitness shares terrifying details of the attack - Watch
- Allahabad High Court denies alimony to divorced working woman
- Musharraf, Kayani have Swiss Bank accounts, says London-based investigative journalist
- Kejriwal calls on Goa Archbishop
- Scarlett Johansson named highest grossing actress ever