Economic blockade of any area unjustified: BJP
New Delhi: The economic blockade of any part of the country was wrong and must be prevented in future, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj said Wednesday, a day after the 92-day blockade in Manipur was partially lifted.
"I am happy to know that the 92-day long economic blockade in Manipur has come to an end. This has been the longest economic blockade," Swaraj said on the microblogging site Twitter.
Adding that "we are one country", she said: "The economic blockade of any part of the country is wrong and unjustified. We must prevent such blockades in future."
The leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha said that a BJP delegation met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Oct 21 to express its concern over the situation in Manipur.
"We requested him to take effective steps for lifting the blockade," she added.
The economic blockade in Manipur was partially lifted Tuesday with one of the two striking groups ending its agitation following a written assurance by the state government on creating a new hill district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof