Economic blockade of any area unjustified: BJP
New Delhi: The economic blockade of any part of the country was wrong and must be prevented in future, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj said Wednesday, a day after the 92-day blockade in Manipur was partially lifted.
"I am happy to know that the 92-day long economic blockade in Manipur has come to an end. This has been the longest economic blockade," Swaraj said on the microblogging site Twitter.
Adding that "we are one country", she said: "The economic blockade of any part of the country is wrong and unjustified. We must prevent such blockades in future."
The leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha said that a BJP delegation met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Oct 21 to express its concern over the situation in Manipur.
"We requested him to take effective steps for lifting the blockade," she added.
The economic blockade in Manipur was partially lifted Tuesday with one of the two striking groups ending its agitation following a written assurance by the state government on creating a new hill district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical