Eighth anniversary of tsunami tragedy observed
Chennai: Eight years ago this day a tragedy of a magnitude Tamil Nadu had seldom encountered struck its coast, when killer waves gobbled up human lives at will while leaving a trail of destruction whose scars remain even today.
A relatively lesser-known Japanese word, Tsunami, had left a permanent scar when tidal waves sparked off by an undersea quake in Indonesia rose to previously unfathomed heights, causing wide-spread devastation in the state boasting of 1076 km long coast-line.
Many who had lost their loved ones remembered their kin on the eighth anniversary today of the killer Tsunami which caused widespread loss to life and property, especially in Cuddalore and Nagapattiam. Prayers were offered by relatives of the deceased in these districts.
In Chennai, candles were lit at the famous Marina in respect to the victims of the tsunami. Tamil Nadu accounted for nearly 7000 deaths in the 2004 tragedy.
Relatives of those who perished in Puducherry and Karaikal also paid homage at various coastal villages here today.
Welfare Minister P Rajavelu paid floral tributes at a remembrance day programme held in Pannithittu a coastal village that was among the fishing hamlets that bore the brunt of the tsunami.
Representatives of various fishermen associations held condolence meetings near the specially erected banners near the sea shore and paid homage to those who were killed in the tragedy.
A number of voluntary organisations based in various states and also the Government of Maharashtra had come forward to provide houses under the rehabilitation programmes in Veerampattinam and a few other coastal hamlets here and in Karaikal.
Puducherry government acquired vast stretch of sites in Kalapet and constructed houses for the rehabilitation of the fishermen families who were rendered homeless in the wake of the tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation