Equip forces with cyber warfare tools: Kalam
Hyderabad: Noting that cyber attacks could cause destruction on an unprecedented scale, former President A P J Abdul Kalam on Thursday stressed on the need to equip future officers of armed forces to envisage and combat technology-driven warfare.
"The whole war environment will be a network centric warfare and it could be electronically controlled. Sometimes space encounters, deep sea encounters and ballistic missile encounters.
"The winner of future warfare will be the officer who can visualise the strength of the enemy not based on the earlier war but based on the current capacities and technology advancements in the global scenario," Kalam said, after the convocation ceremony at the Military College of Electronics and Mechanical Engineering (MCEME) in Hyderabad.
"Our armed forces officers will have to get trained in virtual reality-based, simulated warfares of all the terrains and extreme conditions of the warfare," he said.
The key to becoming a strong nation is to have economic and military strength together, he said.
"India is capable of technological advancements. We have developed expertise alongwith technology in remote-sensing, communication satellites, strategic missile system, electronic warfare system, LCA, naval system among others.
"There is a need to integrate all the technologies and build an indigenous system which will meet the needs of the defence services of our country," he said.
Referring to cyber warfare and challenges, he said in an electronically-connected world, many nations will be endangered in future due to cyber war which can create destruction effortlessly at the speed of light that even Intercontinental Ballistic Missile and other nuclear weapons can become insignificant.
"Nowadays, nations have electronically connected in all the economic, defence and national security establishments which would be the target for cyber attacks during a conflict or to create instabilities," he said, adding that a country can get defeated without a missile or aircraft attack just through intelligence cyber war.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Chopper scam: Willing to come to India and face probe, says AgustaWestland middleman Christian James Michel
- Pro-Afzal event at JNU: Kanhaiya Kumar, others begin indefinite strike against punishment
- Meghalaya CM's wife, Sangma's son file nomination papers for Tura Lok Sabha bypoll
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks