Ex-Jatehdar asked to appear before Akal Takht over `blasphemy`
Amritsar: A meeting of Sikh clergy today
asked former Akal Takht Jatehdar, Darshan Singh, to appear
before it on January 29 in connection with his alleged
blasphemous remarks against Guru Gobind Singh in the US.
Jatehdar Gurbachan Singh told reporters that Darshan was
granted one more chance to appear before Akal Takht, though he
failed to be present against its order, sources said.
On December 5, in an edict issued by the clergy, Darshan
was asked to appear in person today to accept religious
Darshan was demanding that the clergy should hear his
clarification in full public view, whereas, the former
preferred an in-camera meeting.
He was declared Tankhaiya (guilty of religious
misconduct) due to his non-appearance at Akal Takht (the
highest temporal seat of Sikh) over his alleged blasphemous
remarks against the Tenth Sikh Guru.
Darshan, a renowned Sikh scholar, was the Jathedar
during the peak days of militancy in 1986.
Last month`s order had advised the community not to
entertain him unless Darshan appears before Akal Takht.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you