Ex MCI chief granted bail but arrested afresh in DA case
New Delhi: A Delhi court today granted bail
to former Medical Council of India (MCI) president Ketan
Desai in a corruption case but he would not be released as
CBI arrested him afresh for allegedly possessing
Special Judge Rajnish Bhatnagar allowed a plea of Desai
to grant him bail as CBI has failed to file a chargesheet
against him within the prescribed limit of 60 days.
Within minutes of the court`s order, CBI arrested Desai in
another case registered against him for allegedly possessing
CBI had registered the DA case against Desai and his wife
and mother in May for having assets worth over Rs 24 crore,
more than the known sources of their income.
The court sent Desai to 14 days judicial custody.
The former MCI president was arrested on April 22 by CBI
along with three others for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs
two crore to give permission to Gyan Sagar Medical College in
Patiala to recruit a fresh batch of students.
The Delhi High Court had earlier granted bail to
Sukhwinder Singh, owner of Gyan Sagar Medical College, as also
to Kanwaljit Singh, one of the professors of the college and J
P Singh, an alleged tout involved in the scam.
All the four have been booked under the Prevention of
Corruption Act dealing with inducing a public servant to
accept bribe, criminal misconduct and payment of money.
Based on contents of intercepted telephonic calls made
among the accused, CBI had laid a trap outside the south Delhi
residence of J P Singh, which led to his arrest and that of
Kanwaljit and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH