Executive decision cannot be subject for debate under any rule: Govt
New Delhi: Amid Opposition demand for discussion in Lok Sabha on FDI in retail under a rule which entails voting, government on Thursday said an executive decision could not be a subject for debate under such a rule but asserted that it has the numbers to beat such a move.
"An executive decision cannot be a subject for debate under a rule that entails voting. It can be a subject matter of debate. But it doesn`t have to be under Rule 184 (which entails voting). Parliament ultimately must be made to run according to the rule book," Law Minister Ashwani Kumar told reporters outside Parliament House.
Asked whether the Opposition wanted to see the government`s defeat on the issue on the floor of the House, he said, "They are not going to succeed. We have the numbers with us."
Criticising the Opposition for disrupting the proceedings of the House, the Minister said, "We have seen in every section of Parliament something or the other is raked up and an attempt is made to make Parliament dysfunctional."
He asked the Opposition to cooperate with the government to make it functional.
Noting that certain policy issues should be seen as being above partisan politics, Kumar said the government will endeavour to ensure that a broad consensus is arrived at for its policies.
Congress leader and Rajya Sabha MP Satyavrat Chaturvedi also criticised the Opposition for disrupting the proceedings.
"When the government is ready for a discussion on any issue, why is the Opposition running away? The blame for disrupting the Parliament session will finally rest with the Opposition. The people of the nation are watching," Chaturvedi said.
Samajwadi Party leader Ram Gopal Yadav, however, demanded a debate on the FDI issue.
On BSP chief Mayawati demanding sacking of the UP in Uttar Pradesh on the issue of law and order, he said, "What else can she do except saying so. She cannot ask for making her the Chief Minister again as the people of the state have voted her out."
BSP members had created an uproar in Lok Sabha over the law and order situation in UP and demanded dismissal of the Akhilesh Yadav government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly