Explain delay in hanging Afzal Guru: Venkaiah Naidu
Chennai: The government should explain the "inordinate delay" in executing the death sentence against Afzal Guru, senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu said Saturday. He added that the hanging of the Parliament attack convict though belated was welcome.
Queried whether the government was acting now - hanging Guru and Pakistani national Ajmal Amir Kasab - with an eye on the 2014 general elections, Naidu told a news agency: "Perhaps the government is acting now against the death convicts as it suffers from policy paralysis."
"Whatever be the intention, the government has to explain the inordinate delay in the execution of Guru," he said.
According to Naidu, such delays in executing court orders will boost the morale of the terrorists.
Afzal Guru, who was hanged in Delhi`s Tihar Jail at 8 a.m. Saturday, was given the death sentence by the Supreme Court in 2004. His hanging was scheduled for October 2006, but stayed after his wife filed a mercy petition.
Nine people were killed in the December 2001 parliament attack when five heavily-armed Pakistani terrorists drove into the complex and opened fire.
The terrorists were shot dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video