Explain delay in hanging Afzal Guru: Venkaiah Naidu
Chennai: The government should explain the "inordinate delay" in executing the death sentence against Afzal Guru, senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu said Saturday. He added that the hanging of the Parliament attack convict though belated was welcome.
Queried whether the government was acting now - hanging Guru and Pakistani national Ajmal Amir Kasab - with an eye on the 2014 general elections, Naidu told a news agency: "Perhaps the government is acting now against the death convicts as it suffers from policy paralysis."
"Whatever be the intention, the government has to explain the inordinate delay in the execution of Guru," he said.
According to Naidu, such delays in executing court orders will boost the morale of the terrorists.
Afzal Guru, who was hanged in Delhi`s Tihar Jail at 8 a.m. Saturday, was given the death sentence by the Supreme Court in 2004. His hanging was scheduled for October 2006, but stayed after his wife filed a mercy petition.
Nine people were killed in the December 2001 parliament attack when five heavily-armed Pakistani terrorists drove into the complex and opened fire.
The terrorists were shot dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda