Fai figured in several cases in J&K: Police
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir police chief
on Wednesday said Ghulam Nabi Fai, Director of Kashmir American
Council, who was detained by the FBI for illegally lobbying US
lawmakers, has figured in several cases in the state in the
"He has been figuring in lots of things in the past,
like what US has already conveyed, the diversion of ISI funds
for anti-national activities in India and particularly in
Jammu and Kashmir," Director General of Police Kuldeep Khoda
The DGP was here during an investiture ceremony at
Armed Police Complex at Zewan, 15 km from here.
Asked if the state police will push for Fai`s
extradition, Khoda said "let the things get cleared, there are
lots of things. We may follow them up."
The police chief said there was "lots of material"
against 62-year-old Fai, which needed to be scrutinised on the
basis of which action will be taken.
Khoda said they will wait for the outcome of Fai`s
"custodial interrogation" by the American agencies before
Meanwhile, Hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed
Ali Shah Geelani today slammed Kashmir lobbyist Ghulam Nabi
Fai`s arrest in the US, saying it was unjustified and also
alleged that it carried out at New Delhi?s behest to weaken
the movement in Jammu and Kashmir.
"The arrest of Executive Director of Kashmir American
Council (Fai) is unjustified. It has been done at the behest
of India and under a conspiracy to weaken the movement of
Kashmiris at diplomatic level," Geelani said in a statement
Geelani called for peaceful protests against the
arrest after Friday prayers this week and urged the people of
Kashmiri origin living in Pakistan and other countries of the
world to join in the protests.
"If Fai is not released immediately, people of Kashmir
will be forced to conclude that international community has no
sympathy with the oppressed people and are instead taking
sides with the oppressors," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday