FDI: With allies on board, govt open to voting
New Delhi: With DMK showing the green flag, government Tuesday indicated that it was not averse to voting in Parliament on the FDI in retail, a move that could end the House logjam.
"We are confident of numbers," Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told reporters after an hour-long meeting of the leaders of UPA, which presented a united picture, as news came from Chennai of DMK extending its support to the government during any voting on the FDI issue.
"The UPA is fully united on any decision of the Speaker and the Government... All constituents are firmly behind the Government," Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath said.
Asked if the government was ready for a vote, Nath said government is "not averse" to discussion under any rules. "I said it yesterday. I am repeating it today," he said.
"Larger numbers (parties at the UPA meeting) were in favour of discussion to be decided by the Speaker," he said.
Nath said the issue was discussed today at the UPA meeting and he will meet the Speaker to convey the sense of the meetings of all party leaders yesterday and UPA leaders.
Kamal Nath will also meet BJP`s Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj tomorrow to discuss the modalities of a debate and vote on the government`s decision to allow 51 per cent foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail.
The government is believed to have conveyed to Lok Sabha earlier that it did not favour voting on FDI in retail in the Lower House arguing it would send a wrong precedent of voting on an executive decision taken by the government.
At the same time, it has now left the decision to the Speaker.
Opposition BJP and Left parties insisted that the discussion on FDI should be followed by voting.
While in Lok Sabha, the government appears to be comfortably placed in the numbers game with promise of support from SP and BSP and DMK`s open backing today. Trinamool Congress with 19 MPs has also been cold towards Opposition demands for a vote on the issue.
However in Rajya Sabha, where the UPA coalition does not have the numbers on its own, may have problems in case of a vote.
In a House with an effective strength of 244, the UPA and its allies have a strength of about 95 members. It may have to persuade outside supporters BSP (15) and SP (9) to positively vote with the government and not abstain to win in case of a voting.
At present, UPA enjoys the support of about 265 MPs in Lok Sabha of 545. With the support of Samajwadi Party (22) and BSP (21), the backing for the ruling coalition goes a little over 300, which is comfortable over the required 273.
"We are ready for a discussion on FDI in retail only under Rule 184 (which entails voting). The country wants to know which party really supports or opposes FDI in retail.
"There were some parties which were earlier opposed to it but are now supporting FDI," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
In a huge relief to UPA, DMK decided to back the UPA government in Parliament on the FDI FDI in multi-brand retail sector when the discussion on takes place.
The party has decided on this course with "bitterness" so that communal forces do not take advantage of the situation and come to power, DMK Chief M Karunanidhi said.
"One should not forget the situation of the UPA government falling if a discussion and voting takes place under rule 184 in Parliament accepting the demand of BJP and some other parties," he said.
DMK`s decision comes two days after Congress emissary Ghulam Nabi Azad met Karunanidhi to take the second largest UPA constituent on board.
"Though there may be thousands of differences still persisting on the issue and considering the consequences if the government falls at the Centre, in bitterness, the DMK has decided to support the UPA government on the issue", Karunanidhi said.
DMK`s 18 MPs are crucial to the government in case of a vote in Lok Sabha.
Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, who is also the leader of the Lok Sabha, said, "By Monday, everything would be decided and everything would be settled."
Finance Minister P Chidambaram said the government was serious on ending the deadlock in Parliament.
"The work is not complete. We will spend several hours tomorrow and Thursday. We are very concerned about the deadlock in Parliament," he told reporters.
Chidambaram said government spend two and half hours with all the parties yesterday and two hours with UPA constituents today to try to end the logjam.
UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Rahul Gandhi, Defence Minister A K Antony, RLD`s Ajit Singh, DMK`s T R Baalu, NCP`s Sharad Pawar and Praful Patel, National Conference`s Farooq Abdullah and finance Minister P Chidambaram were among those who attended the UPA meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India