Five CRPF training centres set up
Coimbatore: Aiming at strengthening various capabilities of CRPF personnel, five training centres have been set up across the country, a top official of the
paramilitary force said here on Thursday.
"With 218 CRPF battalions posted across the country, it was necessary to strengthen their capabilities at special training centres and work on four such centres is in the completion stage. Besides, an intelligence school exclusively
for the force to gather information about activities of terrorists or extremists has also been set up," CRPF DG K Vijayakumar told reporters at Kurudampalayam, 25 km from here.
He, however, refused to give details of the locations of the Centres citing security reasons.
Sniper training, in which the participants will be trained to shoot down enemy from a distance of over two km, is being imparted to the force to tackle the left extremists, who were moving mainly in forest areas, Vijayakumar said.
The force is being given training in detection and handling of explosives of all types. They are also given jungle warfare training to combat attacks from hidden
extremists, he said.
"Ten COBRA units, with specialised training to tackle Naxalites, have already been set up, the services of which could be utilised anywhere in the country," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion