Five Sri Lankan fishermen remanded to judicial custody
Ramanathapuram (TN): The five Sri Lankan Fishermen arrested off Tuticorin coast by the Coast Guard for allegedly fishing in Indian territorial waters have been remanded to judicial custody by a local court here.
The Ramanathapuram Chief Judicial Magistrate remanded them to judicial custody late last night, officials said.
They said the fishermen would be lodged in prison in Tuticorin till April 1.
The fishermen had put out of sea on Mar 14 and had drifted to the Indian coast on Mar 17 and were nabbed by the Coast Guard yesterday. Their boat was seized and they were brought to Tharuvaikulam in the district and handed over to Coastal Marine Police.
The fishermen told `Q` branch and IB police they had drifted due to strong winds and were not aware of entering Indian territorial waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah