Five Sri Lankan fishermen remanded to judicial custody
Ramanathapuram (TN): The five Sri Lankan Fishermen arrested off Tuticorin coast by the Coast Guard for allegedly fishing in Indian territorial waters have been remanded to judicial custody by a local court here.
The Ramanathapuram Chief Judicial Magistrate remanded them to judicial custody late last night, officials said.
They said the fishermen would be lodged in prison in Tuticorin till April 1.
The fishermen had put out of sea on Mar 14 and had drifted to the Indian coast on Mar 17 and were nabbed by the Coast Guard yesterday. Their boat was seized and they were brought to Tharuvaikulam in the district and handed over to Coastal Marine Police.
The fishermen told `Q` branch and IB police they had drifted due to strong winds and were not aware of entering Indian territorial waters.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?