Five Sri Lankan fishermen remanded to judicial custody
Ramanathapuram (TN): The five Sri Lankan Fishermen arrested off Tuticorin coast by the Coast Guard for allegedly fishing in Indian territorial waters have been remanded to judicial custody by a local court here.
The Ramanathapuram Chief Judicial Magistrate remanded them to judicial custody late last night, officials said.
They said the fishermen would be lodged in prison in Tuticorin till April 1.
The fishermen had put out of sea on Mar 14 and had drifted to the Indian coast on Mar 17 and were nabbed by the Coast Guard yesterday. Their boat was seized and they were brought to Tharuvaikulam in the district and handed over to Coastal Marine Police.
The fishermen told `Q` branch and IB police they had drifted due to strong winds and were not aware of entering Indian territorial waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence