Formation of Third Front a failed idea: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday dismissed the possibility of formation of a Third Front as a "failed idea" and hit out at the 14 parties that came together under a common banner saying it was an indirect strategy of helping the UPA.
Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said any talk of the Third Front is an exercise in futility and such governments are "detrimental to governance".
Lashing out at the participants of yesterday`s convention against communalism, he said none of them was concerned over corruption of the ruling Congress or threats to security emerging from terrorist incidents and also not critical of the mismanagement of the country`s economy.
"The conference was not in tandem with strong public opinion where there is a sense of revulsion against the present government on account of the serious corruption scandals. There is a complete disillusionment with the leadership of the UPA.
"... The convention made no critical comments to any of these. The conference ostensibly of opposition parties refrained from hitting out at an unpopular government. Instead of attacking the incumbent it sought to challenge the challenger. This is the indirect strategy of helping the UPA," he said in an article.
Jaitley said the country today needs a decisive and inspirational government as a stable government can only be anchored by a national party with a reasonable legislative strength.
Attacking the parties seeking to unite, the BJP leader said their participation in the conference was a part of their new strategy to re-position themselves.
He said such parties, some of whom have shared power with BJP in the past, adopt two old strategies - of opposing BJP on principle of anti-communalism and supporting it on principle of "anti-Congressism".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!