Formation of Third Front a failed idea: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday dismissed the possibility of formation of a Third Front as a "failed idea" and hit out at the 14 parties that came together under a common banner saying it was an indirect strategy of helping the UPA.
Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said any talk of the Third Front is an exercise in futility and such governments are "detrimental to governance".
Lashing out at the participants of yesterday`s convention against communalism, he said none of them was concerned over corruption of the ruling Congress or threats to security emerging from terrorist incidents and also not critical of the mismanagement of the country`s economy.
"The conference was not in tandem with strong public opinion where there is a sense of revulsion against the present government on account of the serious corruption scandals. There is a complete disillusionment with the leadership of the UPA.
"... The convention made no critical comments to any of these. The conference ostensibly of opposition parties refrained from hitting out at an unpopular government. Instead of attacking the incumbent it sought to challenge the challenger. This is the indirect strategy of helping the UPA," he said in an article.
Jaitley said the country today needs a decisive and inspirational government as a stable government can only be anchored by a national party with a reasonable legislative strength.
Attacking the parties seeking to unite, the BJP leader said their participation in the conference was a part of their new strategy to re-position themselves.
He said such parties, some of whom have shared power with BJP in the past, adopt two old strategies - of opposing BJP on principle of anti-communalism and supporting it on principle of "anti-Congressism".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!