Formation of Third Front a failed idea: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Thursday dismissed the possibility of formation of a Third Front as a "failed idea" and hit out at the 14 parties that came together under a common banner saying it was an indirect strategy of helping the UPA.
Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said any talk of the Third Front is an exercise in futility and such governments are "detrimental to governance".
Lashing out at the participants of yesterday`s convention against communalism, he said none of them was concerned over corruption of the ruling Congress or threats to security emerging from terrorist incidents and also not critical of the mismanagement of the country`s economy.
"The conference was not in tandem with strong public opinion where there is a sense of revulsion against the present government on account of the serious corruption scandals. There is a complete disillusionment with the leadership of the UPA.
"... The convention made no critical comments to any of these. The conference ostensibly of opposition parties refrained from hitting out at an unpopular government. Instead of attacking the incumbent it sought to challenge the challenger. This is the indirect strategy of helping the UPA," he said in an article.
Jaitley said the country today needs a decisive and inspirational government as a stable government can only be anchored by a national party with a reasonable legislative strength.
Attacking the parties seeking to unite, the BJP leader said their participation in the conference was a part of their new strategy to re-position themselves.
He said such parties, some of whom have shared power with BJP in the past, adopt two old strategies - of opposing BJP on principle of anti-communalism and supporting it on principle of "anti-Congressism".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone