Fresh 2G note trouble for UPA government
New Delhi: The UPA government seems headed for fresh trouble over the finance ministry note on 2G spectrum allocation that had led to a reported tussle between Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Home Minister P. Chidambaram last month.
The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Monday tried to corner the government over the March 23 note that was circulated two days ago to members of the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) probing the 2G allocation scandal, claiming the note had been tampered with in an attempt to suppress facts.
It raised the issue at the JPC meet in the evening, when it said the note circulated to JPC members had been amended by substituting the word `approval` with `perusal` that was in the note put up by the ministry`s additional secretary.
The issue has come exactly a month after a truce was brought by the government between Mukherjee and Chidambaram, after the finance minister said the views expressed in the note on Chidambaram`s role in the 2G allocation were not his.
After Mukherjee made the statement to the media, Chidambaram had said that he accepted the clarification and the matter now stood closed.
The note sent to the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) by the finance ministry in March had suggested that the 2G spectrum could have been auctioned, and not allotted, had Chidambaram, as the then finance minister in 2008, insisted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender