Fresh 2G note trouble for UPA government
New Delhi: The UPA government seems headed for fresh trouble over the finance ministry note on 2G spectrum allocation that had led to a reported tussle between Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Home Minister P. Chidambaram last month.
The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Monday tried to corner the government over the March 23 note that was circulated two days ago to members of the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) probing the 2G allocation scandal, claiming the note had been tampered with in an attempt to suppress facts.
It raised the issue at the JPC meet in the evening, when it said the note circulated to JPC members had been amended by substituting the word `approval` with `perusal` that was in the note put up by the ministry`s additional secretary.
The issue has come exactly a month after a truce was brought by the government between Mukherjee and Chidambaram, after the finance minister said the views expressed in the note on Chidambaram`s role in the 2G allocation were not his.
After Mukherjee made the statement to the media, Chidambaram had said that he accepted the clarification and the matter now stood closed.
The note sent to the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) by the finance ministry in March had suggested that the 2G spectrum could have been auctioned, and not allotted, had Chidambaram, as the then finance minister in 2008, insisted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened