Government helped distressed Indian women abroad
New Delhi: The government has spent Rs 80 lakh (Rs 8 million) on assistance to over 100 Indian women living abroad who had been deserted by their spouses and were in distress, a minister told the Rajya Sabha.
In a written reply to a query from Congress MP from Goa Shantaram Naik, Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi Friday said the Indian women in distress were allowed an allowance of $2,000 in developing countries and $3,000 in developed countries.
"A sum of Rs.80 lakh approximately has been disbursed to NGOs through Indian missions abroad for providing legal assistance to 104 Indian women in distress/deserted by their overseas spouses or facing divorce proceedings in foreign countries," Ravi said in a written reply tabled in parliament.
Over 27 NGOs and legal aid agencies, empanelled with the Indian missions is seven countries, namely United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Bahrain and Qatar had been assisting in the reach out programme last year, Ravi said.
"The scheme would be available to Indian women who have been deserted by their overseas Indian or foreigner husbands or are facing divorce proceedings in a foreign country, subject to the conditions," Ravi said, adding that the assistance would be limited to $3,000 per case in developed countries and $2,000 per case in developing countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations