Government helped distressed Indian women abroad
New Delhi: The government has spent Rs 80 lakh (Rs 8 million) on assistance to over 100 Indian women living abroad who had been deserted by their spouses and were in distress, a minister told the Rajya Sabha.
In a written reply to a query from Congress MP from Goa Shantaram Naik, Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi Friday said the Indian women in distress were allowed an allowance of $2,000 in developing countries and $3,000 in developed countries.
"A sum of Rs.80 lakh approximately has been disbursed to NGOs through Indian missions abroad for providing legal assistance to 104 Indian women in distress/deserted by their overseas spouses or facing divorce proceedings in foreign countries," Ravi said in a written reply tabled in parliament.
Over 27 NGOs and legal aid agencies, empanelled with the Indian missions is seven countries, namely United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Bahrain and Qatar had been assisting in the reach out programme last year, Ravi said.
"The scheme would be available to Indian women who have been deserted by their overseas Indian or foreigner husbands or are facing divorce proceedings in a foreign country, subject to the conditions," Ravi said, adding that the assistance would be limited to $3,000 per case in developed countries and $2,000 per case in developing countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe