Govt allows NIA to chargesheet Headley, 8 others
New Delhi: The government has given its
sanction to chargesheet nine people including Pakistani-
American terrorist David Headley, LeT founder Hafiz Saeed and
two ISI officers for plotting terror attacks in India
including the 26/11 strikes.
Besides Headley and Saeed, the Home Ministry gave
sanction to National Investigation Agency to prosecute 26/11
attacks mastermind Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, Headley`s accomplice
and Pakistani-Canadian Tahawwur Rana and al-Qaeda operative
Illyas Kashmiri, official sources said here.
Sajid Malik, handler of Headley, and Abdul Rehman Hashmi
will also be named in the charge sheet besides two officers
Major Iqbal and Major Samir Ali, believed to be working for
Pakistan`s snooping agency, the sources said.
The sanction of prosecution against the nine was accorded
after a legal opinion of the Law Ministry was obtained.
They will be named in the charge sheet for waging war
against the country under the Indian Penal Code and relevant
sections of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
The NIA had registered a case against 50-year-old Headley
and Rana on November 12, 2009 and later on added other names
after investigation by central security agencies showed a
large set of people involved in terror activities against the
Both Headley and Rana are at present in custody of US
authorities and NIA has only got a limited access to Headley,
who had entered into plea bargain with US authorities to
escape harsh sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video