Govt allows NIA to chargesheet Headley, 8 others
New Delhi: The government has given its
sanction to chargesheet nine people including Pakistani-
American terrorist David Headley, LeT founder Hafiz Saeed and
two ISI officers for plotting terror attacks in India
including the 26/11 strikes.
Besides Headley and Saeed, the Home Ministry gave
sanction to National Investigation Agency to prosecute 26/11
attacks mastermind Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, Headley`s accomplice
and Pakistani-Canadian Tahawwur Rana and al-Qaeda operative
Illyas Kashmiri, official sources said here.
Sajid Malik, handler of Headley, and Abdul Rehman Hashmi
will also be named in the charge sheet besides two officers
Major Iqbal and Major Samir Ali, believed to be working for
Pakistan`s snooping agency, the sources said.
The sanction of prosecution against the nine was accorded
after a legal opinion of the Law Ministry was obtained.
They will be named in the charge sheet for waging war
against the country under the Indian Penal Code and relevant
sections of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
The NIA had registered a case against 50-year-old Headley
and Rana on November 12, 2009 and later on added other names
after investigation by central security agencies showed a
large set of people involved in terror activities against the
Both Headley and Rana are at present in custody of US
authorities and NIA has only got a limited access to Headley,
who had entered into plea bargain with US authorities to
escape harsh sentence.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today