Govt allows NIA to chargesheet Headley, 8 others
New Delhi: The government has given its
sanction to chargesheet nine people including Pakistani-
American terrorist David Headley, LeT founder Hafiz Saeed and
two ISI officers for plotting terror attacks in India
including the 26/11 strikes.
Besides Headley and Saeed, the Home Ministry gave
sanction to National Investigation Agency to prosecute 26/11
attacks mastermind Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, Headley`s accomplice
and Pakistani-Canadian Tahawwur Rana and al-Qaeda operative
Illyas Kashmiri, official sources said here.
Sajid Malik, handler of Headley, and Abdul Rehman Hashmi
will also be named in the charge sheet besides two officers
Major Iqbal and Major Samir Ali, believed to be working for
Pakistan`s snooping agency, the sources said.
The sanction of prosecution against the nine was accorded
after a legal opinion of the Law Ministry was obtained.
They will be named in the charge sheet for waging war
against the country under the Indian Penal Code and relevant
sections of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
The NIA had registered a case against 50-year-old Headley
and Rana on November 12, 2009 and later on added other names
after investigation by central security agencies showed a
large set of people involved in terror activities against the
Both Headley and Rana are at present in custody of US
authorities and NIA has only got a limited access to Headley,
who had entered into plea bargain with US authorities to
escape harsh sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp