‘Govt, Anna should not make it a prestige issue’
Mumbai: Keshavananda Bharathi, head of the
Edneer Mutt in northern Kerala, on Friday urged both government
and Team Anna to end the stalemate on the Lokpal issue and not
to make it a prestige issue.
The seer, whose petition challenging a constitutional
amendment on right to property bill led to a landmark decision
by the Supreme Court, asked Hazare to end his fast and said
the Lokpal Bill should be withdrawn if the government is
serious about rooting out corruption.
"Anna Hazare is a precious diamond for us and he should
remain for several years and lead the country`s movement
against corruption. We do not have any other leader today of
his stature and nature. He is a true Gandhian," the 70-year-
old seer said.
Bharathi said, "Taking this into consideration, if the
government is really serious in rooting out corruption, they
should immediately with draw the weak Lokpal Bill of the
Government. Please do not stand on personal prestige.
"I would also personally request Anna to withdraw the fast
as we need him. Today the entire country is behind him," the
The pontiff said, "As I did years ago, the Anna team
should take the legal course and immediately move the Supreme
Court and get a stay on the proposed Lokpal Bill".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF's AN-32 transport aircraft with 29 on board goes missing; massive search operation launched
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Cook, Root tons help hosts post 314/4 on Day 1
- Low-cost cancer treatment should be priority: NITI Aayog CEO
- SC orders medical board in abnormal foetus case
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting