Govt appeals to the Opposition to allow Parl to function
New Delhi: With Parliament being stalled for the second consecutive day on Tuesday, the government appealed the Opposition parties to allow the Houses to function to enable discussion on important issues including financial agenda.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla said the Opposition has the right to raise issues but should allow Parliament to function.
"I would only request the parties concerned that they should allow the Houses to function. In Rajya Sabha, we had to initiate the debate on motion of thanks to the President`s address. Lok Sabha has already initiated discussion on this and the Prime Minister has to reply to the motion. Then financial agenda is coming," he said.
"You (the Opposition) raise the issue but, at the same time, allow the Houses to function," he told reporters outside Parliament.
Both the Houses were adjourned for the second consecutive day today as members raised various issues including the killing of a senior police official in Uttar Pradesh and plight of ethnic Tamils in Sri Lanka.
Some Congress members from Punjab raised slogans against the Akali Dal government in the state over the incident of police beating up a woman and her aged father.
The issue of fuel price hike had rocked both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha yesterday with Opposition members disrupting proceedings demanding an immediate roll back. The ruckus had led to adjournment of Parliament for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam