Govt appeals to the Opposition to allow Parl to function
New Delhi: With Parliament being stalled for the second consecutive day on Tuesday, the government appealed the Opposition parties to allow the Houses to function to enable discussion on important issues including financial agenda.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla said the Opposition has the right to raise issues but should allow Parliament to function.
"I would only request the parties concerned that they should allow the Houses to function. In Rajya Sabha, we had to initiate the debate on motion of thanks to the President`s address. Lok Sabha has already initiated discussion on this and the Prime Minister has to reply to the motion. Then financial agenda is coming," he said.
"You (the Opposition) raise the issue but, at the same time, allow the Houses to function," he told reporters outside Parliament.
Both the Houses were adjourned for the second consecutive day today as members raised various issues including the killing of a senior police official in Uttar Pradesh and plight of ethnic Tamils in Sri Lanka.
Some Congress members from Punjab raised slogans against the Akali Dal government in the state over the incident of police beating up a woman and her aged father.
The issue of fuel price hike had rocked both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha yesterday with Opposition members disrupting proceedings demanding an immediate roll back. The ruckus had led to adjournment of Parliament for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened