Govt clears elevation of Arun Mishra as DGCA chief
New Delhi: Government has cleared a proposal to appoint Arun Mishra, India`s Permanent Representative to UN-body International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), as head of aviation regulator DGCA.
50-year-old Mishra, whose term at the ICAO headquarters in Montreal ends this week, is likely to take over as full- time Director General of Civil Aviation early next month, official sources said.
They said a formal notification would be issued soon.
The post of the DGCA is currently being headed by Prashant Sukul, a Joint Secretary in the Ministry, after the abrupt ouster of E K Bharat Bhushan last Tuesday.
A 1986-batch West Bengal cadre IAS officer, Mishra`s tenure of central deputation ends in August this year. However, the sources said the state government has given a no-objection to his continued deputation at the Centre.
The crucial office of DGCA is in charge of a large number of regulatory issues, including aviation safety, efficiency, formulation of air law framework, licencing of aviation companies, pilots and aircraft engineers.
The regulatory body is itself slated to be converted into the Civil Aviation Authority through an Act of Parliament to grant it more financial and operational autonomy, given the burgeoning aviation sector in the country.
Earlier when Bhushan headed DGCA, the government had formed a search committee to find his successor but failed.
A major reason for this was the selection criteria laid down by the UPSC for the post, that, among other things, entailed that the appointee should have at least 12 years of administrative and at least five years of hands-on experience in the field of civil aviation.
Unable to find an experienced hand to suit the needs, the government decided to call back Mishra to head this critical organisation.
Mishra has served as a Joint Secretary in the Ministry since March 2007 and was posted to the ICAO in August 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India