Govt has `failed` on defence issues: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Friday expressed concern over Chinese incursions into Ladakh and said the issue should not be seen in isolation as the UPA government has "failed" on other defence issues as well, which have "demoralised" the defence forces.
"The situation arising out of Chinese incursions into Ladakh is a matter of serious concern. Chinese presence in this region should not be seen in isolation.
China has been engaged in submarine activity and is also active in Myanmar, Hambantota in Sri Lanka, Ladakh, Pakistan and Jammu and Kashmir," BJP leader Jaswant Singh said.
He pointed out that there is growing nuclear cooperation between China and Pakistan.
"Chinese incursions are a matter of concern. Whatever policy this government has adopted, it is very inadequate and I do not have the confidence that they will be able to do anything," Singh said.
Singh, a former Defence Minister, alleged the Ministry of Defence under the UPA government has "failed" on several key fronts.
"Unfortunately, the leadership of the Ministry of Defence has left much to be desired. Not only is there a shortage of equipment and weapons but also the morale of the forces is down," Singh said.
The BJP leader said there is a shortage of 31,000 officers in the defence forces today.
"The equipment is not bought on time and indigenous production is also not being done," he said.
Singh lamented that there has been no elaborate discussion on these issues in Parliament.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'