Govt has `failed` on defence issues: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Friday expressed concern over Chinese incursions into Ladakh and said the issue should not be seen in isolation as the UPA government has "failed" on other defence issues as well, which have "demoralised" the defence forces.
"The situation arising out of Chinese incursions into Ladakh is a matter of serious concern. Chinese presence in this region should not be seen in isolation.
China has been engaged in submarine activity and is also active in Myanmar, Hambantota in Sri Lanka, Ladakh, Pakistan and Jammu and Kashmir," BJP leader Jaswant Singh said.
He pointed out that there is growing nuclear cooperation between China and Pakistan.
"Chinese incursions are a matter of concern. Whatever policy this government has adopted, it is very inadequate and I do not have the confidence that they will be able to do anything," Singh said.
Singh, a former Defence Minister, alleged the Ministry of Defence under the UPA government has "failed" on several key fronts.
"Unfortunately, the leadership of the Ministry of Defence has left much to be desired. Not only is there a shortage of equipment and weapons but also the morale of the forces is down," Singh said.
The BJP leader said there is a shortage of 31,000 officers in the defence forces today.
"The equipment is not bought on time and indigenous production is also not being done," he said.
Singh lamented that there has been no elaborate discussion on these issues in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday