Govt has `failed` on defence issues: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Friday expressed concern over Chinese incursions into Ladakh and said the issue should not be seen in isolation as the UPA government has "failed" on other defence issues as well, which have "demoralised" the defence forces.
"The situation arising out of Chinese incursions into Ladakh is a matter of serious concern. Chinese presence in this region should not be seen in isolation.
China has been engaged in submarine activity and is also active in Myanmar, Hambantota in Sri Lanka, Ladakh, Pakistan and Jammu and Kashmir," BJP leader Jaswant Singh said.
He pointed out that there is growing nuclear cooperation between China and Pakistan.
"Chinese incursions are a matter of concern. Whatever policy this government has adopted, it is very inadequate and I do not have the confidence that they will be able to do anything," Singh said.
Singh, a former Defence Minister, alleged the Ministry of Defence under the UPA government has "failed" on several key fronts.
"Unfortunately, the leadership of the Ministry of Defence has left much to be desired. Not only is there a shortage of equipment and weapons but also the morale of the forces is down," Singh said.
The BJP leader said there is a shortage of 31,000 officers in the defence forces today.
"The equipment is not bought on time and indigenous production is also not being done," he said.
Singh lamented that there has been no elaborate discussion on these issues in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!