Govt has `failed` on defence issues: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Friday expressed concern over Chinese incursions into Ladakh and said the issue should not be seen in isolation as the UPA government has "failed" on other defence issues as well, which have "demoralised" the defence forces.
"The situation arising out of Chinese incursions into Ladakh is a matter of serious concern. Chinese presence in this region should not be seen in isolation.
China has been engaged in submarine activity and is also active in Myanmar, Hambantota in Sri Lanka, Ladakh, Pakistan and Jammu and Kashmir," BJP leader Jaswant Singh said.
He pointed out that there is growing nuclear cooperation between China and Pakistan.
"Chinese incursions are a matter of concern. Whatever policy this government has adopted, it is very inadequate and I do not have the confidence that they will be able to do anything," Singh said.
Singh, a former Defence Minister, alleged the Ministry of Defence under the UPA government has "failed" on several key fronts.
"Unfortunately, the leadership of the Ministry of Defence has left much to be desired. Not only is there a shortage of equipment and weapons but also the morale of the forces is down," Singh said.
The BJP leader said there is a shortage of 31,000 officers in the defence forces today.
"The equipment is not bought on time and indigenous production is also not being done," he said.
Singh lamented that there has been no elaborate discussion on these issues in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you