Govt mulling cool-off period for babus before joining party
New Delhi: The government is considering a proposal as per which there would be a cooling-off period for officers who are retiring or leaving its service before they can join a political party.
"The Election Commission has made a proposal to the government to provide a suitable cooling-off period for government officers retiring or leaving government service and joining a political party in order to maintain their independence and neutrality in functioning while in office," Law minister Ashwani Kumar said in a written reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha.
"The proposal is under consideration of the government," he added. In response to another question, he said the issue of election reforms in its entirety had been referred to the Law Commission whose recommendations were yet to be received.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Islam doesn't allow women to visit graves, Haji Ali Dargah is one of them: Chairman
- Davis Cup: India to host Spain under flood-lights
- India, US eye bilateral trade worth $500 billion: Report
- GST, reforms to boost bilateral trade with India, address biz climate issues: US
- REVEALED: Gianni Infantino says FIFA salary less than USD 2m, well below Sepp Blatter earned