Govt mulling granting Indian citizenship to Lankan Tamils
Chennai: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Saturday said the Centre would consider a proposal by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi to grant Indian citizenship to Sri Lankan Tamil refugees living in the state.
"We have received a letter (from the state government) in this regard and the Centre would look into it," Chidambaram told reporters here after meeting Karunanidhi.
Ruling DMK, in a resolution passed on September 26 – the centenary celebrations of former Chief Minister CN Annadurai, had asked Karunanidhi to persuade the Centre to grant citizenship and to rehabilitate over one lakh Tamil Lankan refugees in Tamil Nadu.
On the Sri Lankan Tamils living in refugee camps in the Island nation, Chidambaram said the matter would be considered after holding talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and External Affairs Minister SM Krishna.
To a query on sending a team of Indian MPs to the Island nation to assess the situation there, he said it was also under consideration of the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read