Govt rejects Modi`s demand for `white paper` on security
New Delhi: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Tuesday rejected Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s demand for a `white paper` on internal security and said the government was following a two-pronged strategy of development and offensive action to tackle Naxalism.
"Mr Modi is chief minister for nine years. He has been attending it (conference of internal security) every year. He should understand the gravity of Naxalism as he is just on the border of Maharashtra (which is affected by Naxalism).
"So if he has understood the gravity of Naxalism. If proper care is not taken, what sort of white paper they want. I think we need to be rigid on this. I don`t think any white paper is required on it," he told reporters during his monthly press conference here.
"We have already said as far as possible we should work to make roads and provide education in those (Naxal-affected) areas," the minister said.
Modi, after attending the conference of Chief Ministers on internal security here on June 5, had demanded a `white paper` from the government on internal security.
"We have got two-pronged action directive from the all party meeting that we should go ahead with the development work and at the same time we should take stringent action against them. Both Centre and state security forces will work together (in tackling the menace)," Shinde said when asked about the outcome of all-party meeting on Naxalism held here yesterday.
The meeting assumes significance as it was called in the wake of the brutal Naxal attack on Congress party`s `Parivartan Yatra` on May 25 in Bastar region of Chhattisgarh which killed the party`s leaders and injured 37 others. The Home Ministry has later given the case to National Investigation Agency (NIA) to probe the case.
"NIA is enquiring into the case. And the police action from both the state government and central paramilitary forces is on. I can`t give you the lead. This is not the time to give lead," Shinde said when asked about the progress on the enquiry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared