Govt servants can claim promotion benefits post retirement: CAT
New Delhi: A government servant who has
wrongly been denied promotion while he was in service can
claim its benefit even after retirement, the Central
Administrative Tribunal has ruled.
"If the promotion has been denied wrongly to a
government servant, who retired on superannuation, the same
has to be operated retrospectively post-retirement," the
tribunal bench of members Veena Chhotray and Shanker Raju said
citing an apex court`s ruling.
The tribunal passed the order on a petition of two
retired employees of the Department of Commerce, M S Tewari
and B K Ghuliani seeking promotion retrospectively as
Assistant Director (Supplies) post retirement.
They contended that the department`s failure to hold
the departmental promotion committee (DPC) on yearly basis as
per the requirements and vacancies have resulted in denial of
their fundamental right to promotion and the same cannot be
denied to them merely because they have superannuated.
The department opposed the employees` plea contending
that they are not bound to grant promotion once an employee is
Not impressed by the department`s contentions, the
tribunal said that the recruitment rules are applicable even
"It is trite law that whenever the vacancy accrues,
the recruitment rules in vogue are to be applied even for
"The department have not acted in a legal manner to
consider the claim of the applicants (employees) rather it is
denied to them. Accordingly, the application is allowed, they
be accorded the actual promotion and all consequential
benefits for promotion and revised pensionary benefits shall
be accorded to them, with arrears," it said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case