Had warned Centre about condition of Indian prisoners in Pakistan: Surjit
Moga: Surjit Singh, who languished in Pakistan`s Kot Lakhpat jail on espionage charges for decades before being released last year, Friday expressed anguish over Sarabjit`s death and said he had warned the Centre about condition of Indian prisoners in Pakistani jails.
The Centre did not take it seriously and made no efforts to ensure the safety of Indian prisoners like Sarabjit Singh, said Surjit, who returned in June last year to his native village Phidday, 40 km from here.
"The result of which, Sarbjit Singh was murdered there in a well planned conspiracy," he told reporters here today.
Surjit appealed to the Centre to take up the matter with the Pakistan government to save other Indian prisoners in that country.
He said he had met Sarbjit in Kot Lakhpat jail only once and did not have much details about his activities.
Singh said before leaving jail, he had promised Sarabjit that he would make all out efforts for his early release from prison.
Last year, an announcement was made that Sarabjit would be released, but later Pakistan government had clarified that not Sarabjit, but another Indian prisoner Surjit Singh was being released.
After his return to India, Surjit had claimed there was no move in Pakistan for Sarabjit`s release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Curfew, restrictions continue in Kashmir Valley for 51st day
- Is Ramdev coming up with world-class varsity near Delhi like University of Houston?
- Pakistan has started behaving like an enemy: JD(U)
- Donald Trump links death of NBA star's cousin to black vote
- Watch: Sushant Singh Rajput spills romance in 'Kaun Tujhe' from 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'