Haneef sues Australian govt for unlawful arrest
Melbourne: Indian doctor Mohamed Haneef, who was wrongly accused of involvement in a botched 2007 UK terror attack, on Thursday sued the Australian government for unlawful arrest and abuse of power and launched defamation proceedings against former Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews.
30-year-old Haneef`s lawyer Maurice Blackburn said the suit was lodged on behalf of Haneef in the Brisbane Supreme Court.
He said a claim has been made for unlawful arrest and abuse of power against the Commonwealth government.
The doctor`s legal team also launched defamation proceedings against the then John Howard government`s Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews, AAP reported.
Haneef, who was working as a registrar at a Gold Coast Hospital, was arrested in July 2007 at the Brisbane airport after his mobile phone SIM card was linked to a failed terror
attack in Britain that year. He was held for 12 days before being charged with recklessly giving support to a terrorist organisation.
However, Haneef was later cleared of terror charges as prosecutors admitted to bungling the case and conceded there was insufficient evidence.
Blackburn`s partner Rod Hodgson said the court action was the result of the Clarke Inquiry`s findings in the case.
He said the inquiry gave a clean chit to Haneef, stating that he did nothing to justify his treatment by the then Howard government and Australian Federal Police.
Hodgson said his firm was in negotiations with the Commonwealth and the claims may never be pursued.
"We do not intend to advance Haneef`s matter through the courts unless negotiations with the government appear unlikely to be satisfactory to Haneef," he said in a statement.
"The proceedings have been filed on behalf of Haneef
simply as a safeguard to protect his legal rights with regard
to the time limits which apply to the various legal actions."
Hodgson said the discussions with the Commonwealth were
The then Howard government and its Immigration Minister
Andrews came under strong criticism for cancelling Haneef`s
visa, ensuring his incarceration, just hours after a
magistrate granted him bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'